Saturday 9 July 2011

The Dead Princess,and the Seven knights..[Pushkin]

"Moon, O Moon, my friend!" he said,

"Gold of horn and round of head,

From the darkest shadows rising,

With your eye the world apprising,

You whom stars with love regard

As you mount your nightly guard!

Surely you'll not grudge an answer?

Tell me, did you ever chance to

See the Princess I revere?

I'm her fiance." "O dear!"

Said the Moon in consternation,

"No, I have not seen the maiden.


On my round I only go

When it is my turn, you know.

It would seem that I was resting

When she passed." "How very vexing!"

Cried aloud Prince Yelisei.

But the Moon went on to say:

"Wait a minute! I suggest you

Have the Wind come to the rescue.

Call him now! It's worth a try.

And cheer up a bit! Goodbye!"

Yelisei, not losing courage,

To the Wind's abode now hurried.

"Wind, O Wind! Lord of the sky,

Herding flocks of clouds on high,

Stirring up the dark-blue ocean,

Setting all the air in motion,

Unafraid of anyone

Saving God in heaven alone!

Surely you'll not grudge an answer?

Tell me, did you ever chance to

See the Princess I revere?

I'm her fiance." "O hear!"

Said the Wind in turmoil blowing.

"Where a quiet stream is flowing

Stands a mountain high and steep

In it lies a cavern deep;

In this cave in shadows dismal

Sways a coffin, made of crystal.

Hung by chains from pillars six.

Round it barren land in which

No man ever meets another.

In that tomb your bride discover!"

With a howl the Wind was gone.

Yelisei wept loud and long.

To the barren land he journeyed

Desperately, sadly yearning

Once again to see his bride.

On he rode. A mountain high

Rose before him, soaring steeply

From a land laid waste completely.

At its foot—an entrance dim.

Yelisei went quickly in.

There, he saw, in shadows dismal
Swayed a coffin made of crystal
Where the Princess lay at rest
In the deep sleep of the blest.
And the Prince in tears dissolving
Threw himself upon the coffin...
And it broke! The maiden straight
Came to life, sat up, in great
Wonder looked about and yawning
As she set her bed see-sawing
Said with pretty arms outstretched:
"Gracious me! How long I've slept!"
Down she stepped from out the coffin.
O the sighing and the sobbing!
Carrying his bride, he strode
Back to daylight. Home they rode,
Making pleasant conversation
Till they reached their destination.
Swiftly rumour spread around:
"The Princess is safe and sound!"
It so happened the Tsaritsa
In her room was idly seated
By her magic looking-glass
And to pass the time did ask:
"Who in all the world is fairest
And has beauty of the rarest?"
Said the mirror in reply:

"You are fair, I can't deny,
But the Princess is the fairest
And her beauty is the rarest!"
The Tsaritsa leapt and smashed
On the floor her looking-glass,
Rushing to the door she saw the
Fair young Princess walk towards her.
Overcome by grief and spite,
The Tsaritsa died that night.
From the grave where she was buried
To a wedding people hurried,
For the good Prince Yelisei
Wed his Princess that same day.
Never since the World's creation
Was there such a celebration;
I was there, drank mead and yet
Barely got my whiskers wet.


http://russian-crafts.com/russian-folk-tales/tale-about-dead-princess.html

No comments:

Sad Eyes - Robert John HD (1080p)

                           sigh...