Tuesday 31 May 2011

On the Nature of the Divine Mother

"The ancients, not versed in the polished language of modern times, used "Holy Ghost" and "Word" for Intelligent Cosmic Vibration, which is the first materialization of God the Father in matter [i.e., the Mother]. The Hindus speak of this Holy Ghost as the "Aum." (41) Holy Ghost, Aum of the Hindus, the Mohammedan Amin, the Christian Amen, Voice of Many Waters, Word, are the same thing."

The spiritual Phenomenon called the Divine Mother has always been deeply interesting to spiritual seekers. Known to sages and saints throughout history, it is the Divine Mother whom we in the West address as the Holy Spirit and Mother Nature.

In India, Hindus address Her as Shakti, Maya, Kali, and Durga.

She is also known as Wisdom, Aum, Amen, the Word of God. By whatever name we refer to Her, She is an actual Entity that exists and can be directly experienced.

The Mother's nature is one of the unfathomable mysteries of life. Nothing can be said about Her directly or positively. Almost everything that can be said of Her must be couched in metaphors; She is described in terms of waves, clouds, lights, fire, voices, music, though She is none of these.

The Mother is neither a female nor a person

To arrive at a notion of the Mother, we must first put aside our anthropocentric ways of thinking and realize that She is not a person, and not a female either, but an agency, a power in the universe which can only be understood as it is.

Avatars and enlightened saints and sages, who refer to the Holy Father and Divine Mother, find themselves in a position of needing to speak about entities which are one at the absolute level of existence and apparently too at the relative. To differentiate between them, they draw upon a metaphor of gender, as Kabir and Lao Tzu illustrate:

Kabir: "The formless Absolute is my Father, and God with form is my
Mother."
(1)
Lao Tzu: "Nameless indeed is the source of creation [i.e., the Father],
But things have a mother and she has a name."
(2)

read more......http://www.adishakti.org/_/on_the_nature_of_the_divine_mother_or_holy_spirit.htm


 
The Oneness of Relative and Absolute

[ the Ts`an T`ung ch`i`]

 by Shih T`ou


The great sage of India conveyed
true mind, from west to east,
among human beings are wise
ones and fools

But in truth, there are no patriarchs
north or south.
From the clear,bright subtle
source,
Tributary streams flow through the darkness.

Attaching to things is delusion,
and meeting the absolute is not yet
enlightenment.

Within and without relate,yet are independent,
Working in different ways,but together.
Form differs in substance and appearance.
sounds distinguish pleasure from pain.

In darkness,high and middle merge;
But in light all things are revealed.
The four elements return to the source
Like a child to its mother.

Fire`s hot, wind moves,
Water`s wet,  earths hard.
Eyes see,  ears hear,
nose smells, tongue tastes salt and sour.
Each is independent
while in accord with its relations.

The root gives rise to many leaves
Yet root and branch return to one.

High and low are relative.
In light there is darkness
Confronted,it cannot be fathomed.
Within darkness there is light.

One-sided it cannot be found.
Light and darkness are paired
Like a foot before and a foot behind
when walking,
each thing has intrinsic value
related to other things by function and place.


Absolute and ordinary life fit together
Like a box and its cover.
Absolute works with relative,
like two arrows meeting in mid air.

Hear and know the great reality.

Do not judge by your own standards.
overlooking the way right before you

How can you see itwhere you`re walking?
Enlightened ,the path is neither near or far.

Deluded, you are rivers and mountains away
With respect, I say to you who seek the goal
Do not waste a moment, night or day.

2 comments:

annieoatcake said...

I love this poem, CTP. Although I'm not at all religeous, I'm starting to understand the concept of 'balance'. I'm enjoying reading your posts, they bring me closer to 'understanding' -thank you.

Like a foot before and a foot behind
when walking,
each thing has intrinsic value
related to other things by function and place.

old sojur said...

Thank you! I am enjoying sharing my inner thoughts...I hope ,I cause, no offense, to any 'religious', group, or ideology. I too, am not 'religious', but I actually,'feel',the universe,at times, I know that appears strange, but, for some reason,at present, unknown, to me, it simply, 'is'.
Jung, has influenced me, to an inordinate degree, but now, I begin to realise, just what it was, that influenced Jung!
I have always, tried ,to be honest, My name is Richie, 'Carlthepirate', is a pseudonym, I do not, buy into, the 'Dogma', of any 'religion',
but, I know, that people, get comfort, from their beliefs, so it's ok with me.
I, too, like, Poetry.
I feel kind of strange, now, knowing someone is actually reading my postings! I really am pleased, to know this...but my mind races to some very unusual places! so expect the unexpected! Best wishes..

Sad Eyes - Robert John HD (1080p)

                           sigh...