Buddy
would have been 90 ..
I got angry the bleeding thing would not turn over or fire up
the Engine that had been so carefully removed from the Cab had been stripped from the bottom end
the crankshaft had been removed and the Big End Push Rod Shells replaced - hopefully the Engine knock had been cured
the Shells had been oiled and everything was Torqued up correctly and reassembled but still it would not start- the injectors had been bled the electrics reconnected- the oil replaced along with the filters oil and Fuel
but still it would not work
Admitting defeat did not come easily to Me but there was no other option- every hour off the road was costing not just Me but My Brother too - I had to buy another Engine -So I bought a rebuilt Unit off
My Mate who owned a Garage -installed it and all was fine except for one thing- the deal involved giving My Unit in exchange for the new one
A Week later I was in the Garage to be met by a semi competent Mechanic who was smirking like
He owned the place. He had stripped My Unit and came across the problem - the Shells which had been stamped and numbered by Me had been installed on the incorrect Pushrods - a minor detail but one which had caused the seizure - in effect locked everything up.
But the thing which really annoyed Me was I was not the one who had put the Shells in- My Dad was
and He had missed this even though His working life was spent as a Diesel Fitter and in My eyes could do no wrong when it came to Engines- even though I Myself had been trained I had blindly assumed
all was well and never thought to check
A week later the replacement Unit started playing up and My mate with the Garage offered to sell Me
My old Unit back at an inflated price- I told Him to fuck off -some years later the chiselling Money grabbing Bastard My Mate -He died of a Heart attack
as did My Dad- eventually I traded the Cab for a Brand new one.
To this day I find it hard to trust others to do anything I can do Myself and taking on someone else's headaches is not for Me -been there done that
If it isn't broke don't fix it- but if it needs fixing do it right or don't do it at all.
Goes to show no matter what You think Your Dad wasn't perfect He made mistakes same as
anyone does but really You can't blame Him if He thought He was trying to help You and without Your Mates You would have been in even more strife and stress
One thing about Me is this refusal to admit defeat thing- it's exhausting and now I've bought a Guitar
You know thinking it will give Me something to do- once again I'm trying to do things right so this time
I'm in no rush to get it right and My fingertips are sore and My strumming is awful but
I'm going to get a tune out of this if it kills Me
.jpg)

Comments